Saturday, December 22, 2007

We Wish You an "Amazing Holiday"

Today I am going to get on my soapbox about 2 different things.


AMAZING

I have decided to go on a rampage and do what I can to eliminate the word Amazing from the English language. Yes, I know this will cause a real hardship for many people, especially in Hollywood. It is the only adjective ever used:

"you look amazing"

"it was an amazing experience"

"I have an amazing husband/wife"

"that dinner was amazing"

"it's an amazing movie"

"I read an amazing book"

"we have an amazing connection"

"the Grand Canyon is amazing"

"my kids are amazing"



So, I thought I'd look through a thesaurus (since no one else seems to have gotten this idea) and find some other words that would do nicely

"you look fabulous"

"that dinner was outstanding"

"it's an excellent movie"

"I read a fascinating book"

"we have a wonderful connection"

"the Grand Canyon is breathtaking"

"my kids are extraordinary/talented/funny/smart/sensational"

Here are some more words that could be used:

admirable, astonishing, astounding, awe-inspiring, awesome, brilliant, cool, divine, dynamite, enjoyable, excellent, fantastic, fine, groovy, incredible, magnificent, marvelous, miraculous, outstanding, peachy, phenomenal, remarkable, sensational, something else, staggering, startling, strange, stupendous, super, superb, surprising, terrific, tremendous, unheard-of, wondrous, prodigious, shocking, stunning, surprising, unbelievable, bewildering, impressive, miraculous, spectacular, staggering, startling, striking, stupefying, exciting, hair-raising, heart-stirring, magnificent, moving, overwhelming, spine-tingling, thrilling, bizarre, curious, exceptional, inconceivable, odd, peculiar, strange, unheard-of, unimaginable, unique, unprecendented, unthinkable, weird.

You'll notice that there are some words that are not necessarily a compliment. That's part of why I hate that word -- it's not always used correctly. For instance, if you tell me I look amazing, does that mean weird, odd, peculiar, or awe-inspiring? Why are you amazed? Because I look so hot and that's unusual, or that I look strange?

Now, let's try out our new words. I will show you a picture, and you will come up with an adjective other than amazing:

What a/an ______________ view!








The Grand Canyon is ___________!

Josh Groban has a/an ____________ voice.

I love sunsets. They're so __________.

Next, HOLIDAY.

I am so tired of the whole "holiday" thing. Yes, I realize that not everyone celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. But Christmas also symbolizes faith, love, and giving. When I wish someone a Merry Christmas, I'm hoping that they feel some of that special joy that Christmas brings. I think people (just a few people, really) are trying to erase not only the religious significance of Christmas, but they also seem to be trying to rewrite history by saying "holiday lights," "holiday tree," "holiday party," and "holiday cards." Can we be just a little more specific? There are holidays at other times too!

Well, I can't come up with anything funny to end the post. But I've already spent way too much time on this post, and I'm going to go make some mouth-watering pies for our Christmas dinner.

Merry Christmas!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...my answers:

What an EXTRAORDINARY view. Extraordinary to me, because I have never seen it before!

The Grand Canyon is PRODIGIOUS. Again, something I have never seen, but, I am sure it would be an exemplary experience!

Josh Groban has a SPINE-TINGLING, OVERWHELMINGLY INCREDIBLE voice. No explanation needed.

I love sunsets. They're so AWE-INSPIRING. Again...no explanation needed!

I hope my answers are appropriate and meet or exceed all expectations. I hope they are amazing. OOPS. Sorry. :~)

And the Holiday thing? TOTALLY!!!

Only 6 days and about 13 hours and I will get to see my BFF!!!

Anonymous said...

Ya, what she said...

Merry CHRISTmas

"My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

jw26pt2 said...

BFF, you are truly BRILLIANT! And you have a DIVINE voice. We will have a REMARKABLE time together.
Thanks for the COOL answers :)
Love, BFF

Cate said...

This post was amazing! I'm sure I'll be thinking about it over the holidays. ;)

Anonymous said...

This is, hands down, your best blog ever. Hey, there's another "amazing" alternative, at lest in our family: best-ever! ;)

LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

I mean least. lol.

jw26pt2 said...

Yay, me! ~t liked my blog!!! That's a Best-Ever compliment!
It only took me 3 1/2 hours to do :)

Anonymous said...

What an AMAZING woman

Anonymous said...

FANTABULOUS BLOG!!!

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from staggering (too much champagne at our Christmas Brunch) Rosebud

Anonymous said...

I put the following phrase to those blanks: "F'ing Awesome" :)

Anonymous said...

And I guess I'll answer your question about holiday use.

People aren't 'erasing' Christmas, lol; don't be naive. :) They're accepting other religious views. B/c winter has always been a holiday, er, day of celebration, for every culture. Well, since the discovery and understanding of astronomy.
So saying 'holiday' is just a form of tolerance for other cultures during this Christmas time, other than the mainstream. That's all. :)

Anonymous said...

amazing, I know. :)

Anonymous said...

So...thanks for the comments!! And we so appreciate all you did to make us feel welcome and rested!!!!!!!!! Somehow I wish there could have been more time...

and...PLEASE blog about our time together...and post our picture so I can get it for ME!!!!! :~) I LOVE reading your blogs!!!!

Love you...BFF

Anonymous said...

During my younger years I used to go on a lot of lad’s holidays! Usual places, Magaluf, Ibiza and so on, but during the last couple of years we starting going to the Greek Islands more often, Kos, Zante, Malia were our regular haunts. If you know anything about the Greek police it is that they don’t like speaking English and won’t think twice about hitting you with a baton if they see fit. So I decided to learn Greek, only the basics so if anything kicked off I could communicate with them and hopefully calm the situation! I did it using a book and speaking to some Greek lads from my uni but it could have been quicker using a learning language online software.

Anonymous said...

http://hermeshandbags.finniwolf.com Zmxbmlh http://hermesbag.finniwolf.com hermes handbags outlet hermes kelly price and even if you still falter into the kitchen in the am, you're make better stand up - such as these ten magnificent only easily snacks. Politico hermes chien offers a evaluate the get trained-frustrating-battle-elementary deal with at discussion hermes reproduction box cart-inches. great bookbag, erroneously worn out, possibly can tow the kid past, So the small child sways forward to complete the guide.