Thursday, March 8, 2007

I'd Better Get Some More Reading Glasses from the Dollar Store!

Yes, another blog copied from tf who copied it from supermom. I knew I would need help getting started with this blogging thing so hey, I'm ok with that!

This must be somebody's list of the the 100 books everyone should read. It was fun going through this b/c I do love to read and I don't do it as much as I should. I'm in another year of reading the Bible through (yeehah, made it through Deuteronomy----smooth sailing for awhile now) and will have to start reading some of these too. Well, 1 at a time.

The ones I’ve read are in bold.
The ones I want to read (or have started and abandoned) are in italics.
I've left alone the ones that I'm not interested in.

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) *read the sequel but that doesn't count
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (J.R.R. Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (J.R.R. Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery) *along with all the others in the series!
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (J.K. Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (George Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) *fabulous
45. Bible * yep, the whole enchilada
46. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) *en français
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens) *some great memories of Jr Hi English class
55. The Great Gatsby (Scott Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) *I expect to hear mice say this and giggle
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy) *even retired, I'm too busy to read this one!
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) *couldn't even watch Brad & Tom in this!
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davies)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) *en français
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Helen Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In the Skin of a Lion (Michael Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd) *really good
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum) *saw the movie but would still like to read it
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

Feel free to add your own faves. I'm pretty embarrassed that so many of these were not read. That's why I felt the need to appear more intelligent by adding that I read some of them in French.

Happy Reading!
I hope to be posting from the road--promised Dimples & BDE some pix of Route 66!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I will read #25, as directed. First, I have to read #2 for Supermom. Your first assignment, read #28. You'll do it in a day. Next, read #18 (I know, it's Stephen King, but the good guys win, I promise). That'll take you a bit longer, but I'm sure lounging by the pool, it will go quickly.

You know what I think of your avoidance of #1, #11, #12, etc. But we won't discuss that.

Don't read my favorite book, #35. You'll hate it.

~T

Cate said...

Actually, I'm going to tread into dangerous waters here mostly because I like a good discussion but also because I can guess as to what's been said in regards to The Da Vinci Code and, even though I've read it, I actually wish I hadn't and support your avoidance of it.

I think it might be a mistake to avoid a book based on research and, oh, say, facts that could challenge our faith. There is no way to defend our faith if we aren't aware of the arguments that are being made against it. However, Dan Brown's book is laughably false, even by his own admissions so, based on that, why should one read it? It's not particularly well written, it doesn't present any new, great or novel ideas based on anything substantive that can't be easily disproved and, frankly, I think it's rather perverse considering its premise.

I liken it to this: imagine a story taking place during WWII where the war wasn't the central idea, just the setting and while our hero and/or heroine are traipsing about the countryside falling in love/going on an adventure/whatever, the Nazi's are painted as the good guys and Hitler wins the war. Doesn't that detract from the main storyline, however interesting it might be?

As for the Harry Potter books, I have no real strong opinion. I've read them and enjoyed them.

Oh, and I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn right now and so far I'm really enjoying it.

And another book that's not on this list that is a really good, fast read (i.e. poolside [yes, I'm jealous!]) is My Sister's Keeper.

Does it make me a bad person that I always skip over Deuteronomy?

Anonymous said...

GIVE ME BACK MY WIFE ! ! !

jw26pt2 said...

This is so fun! Thanks for your comments, "xo." I'll put #18 on the list (but not 1, 11, 12, etc of course :) )
Supermom, I've kind of gotten that idea -- so what's the point of me reading it, really. Sorry to those of you whom I've offended. I'm glad that you said that about A Tree Grows 'cause I just got the feeling I would like it but for no apparent reason. And no, you're not a bad person for not reading Deut. It took me about 40 yrs or so to get to it & I was a pretty good person b4 that, I think :)

Honey, I'll be home soon!
Blog is short for web log. I still haven't decided what to do about travel plans for tonight. I'll pack as soon as I can get off this computer... Thanks Supermom & tf!!

Anonymous said...

NiNi is a blogger!!!! YAY!!! Can you get Cissy to start?! I think her blogs would be hil-frickin-arious!!!

I'm okay with that ... that's funny ... reminds me of ... "not that there's anything wrong with that" ... hmm ... that may be my next blog title!!!

Anonymous said...

One more thing ... are you really interested in reading Mists of Avalon???? AMAZING book and I know T would approve lol

If you are, and haven't read it by the time I get over there, I'll bring it for you ... the cover is torn off, that's how much I love it. Not to say that I tear my books apart! Just to say that I heart Mists!!

though, now that I've said all that maybe you'll no longer be interested LOL And, now I see that T said NOT to read it! lol Actually, I think it's enjoyable and easy to take in a fiction sense ... maybe Catholics might get a little fiesty ... dunno.

No offense taken here about Da Vinci ... I liked it, but I can understand a want to avoid it. I say read what you want!

Have a VERY safe trip ... the three amigos!

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

Holding my tongue (or, erm, fingers), Supermom, as my response to your comment would take up a few screens, and I will not use up my last few hours this visit with mom arguing. :) Dangerous waters, indeed. Can you not read?!?! I said, "But we won't discuss that." Interested in The Tree Grows in Brooklyn now. Thanks a alot!

3 amigos. LOL.