Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Visit from Sis-in-Law


Well, I really needed to get around to blogging about our wonderful visit from Poppy's sister (I'll call her Sister J - she really is a Sister) and her roomie, Sister P, also a Sister. I was seeing how many times I could write the word "sister" in one sentence. We had such a great time with them here. They both love to travel and we were thrilled to have them stay with us for a week and a half. We are hoping that they will be able to make this an annual, if not semiannual, event. Here are some pix of our visit. I have to write a disclaimer; there's some strong language that you're not used to hearing, or reading, from me.


On the way home from picking them up at the airport in Vegas, we stopped by a famous landmark -- now that's a Hoover Dam good picture!


We visited Oatman, a little ghost town named after a girl who was captured by Native Americans. I still can't believe it, but it's where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard spent their wedding night. Really, why???? So close to Las Vegas???? I've seen the room and it's not pretty. Anyway, now the reason for going is to feed the wild burros who come down from the mountains each day. Here's a picture of a really nice A$$ --




Then we went to Sedona. Poppy stayed home, b/c his knee was KILLING him. Maestro came along with us. The weather was warming up at home, but it was cold -- okay, cool -- in Sedona. It was cloudy & would rain a bit now & then. It was quite a revelation to Sister P, who was definitely expecting different weather in Arizona. Fortunately for our sightseeing efforts, the only time it rained really hard was when we were inside eating, at a very nice Mexican restaurant, Oaxaca. We started out at Oak Creek Canyon --

for a very scenic view, and some shopping for some Navajo-made jewelry. It started sleeting, and we had a view of the road we would be driving down --


Maestro did a great job driving -- he actually drove the speed limit of 15mph! I didn't cry this time going down. Our next stop was at Slide Rock State Park --


























Then we went to the Chapel of the Holy Cross.

















The photo on the right is the view from the back door. In the next photo, the rock formations on the left side are called the Two Sisters. And Maestro is standing between -- yep-- Two Sisters.


You can see the menacing clouds behind them. There had been some great lightning, but we didn't get that on film. I mean, uh, memory disk. And boy, was it windy!


We headed to Red Rock Crossing to get some shots of Cathedral Rock.

Maestro climbed a tree --

We started our drive back home, but had to stop & take these pix --















Then, just to make things really interesting, we got to drive through a snowstorm in Flagstaff. Yikes-a-malooney!















Of course, we got home safely, after stopping in Ash Fork and eating at the Road Kill Cafe on the longest stretch of the original Route 66.


I'll blog some more on the trip later, but I want to get this published before, well, the next time they visit us!


11 comments:

Cate said...

What beautiful pictures! I can see why your (almost) ENTIRE family has deserted Wisconsin for greener (well, actually browner, but warmer) pastures.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of the "Hoover and the burro". I love it when you talk dirty...

Anonymous said...

*sigh* Sedona!!!! I can't wait!

Hey, WE ate at Oaxaca! Yum!

I am so disturbed by the words you are using. (rain, cold, sleet...) I'm worried about you.

I love those 2 Sisters (I mean the humans, but I love the rock formations, too). You must've had so much fun! Actually, I know you did. What am I talking about?

And, it's memory card. Not disk.

Please tell me where that funky looking tree is. My camera is asking.

XO

jw26pt2 said...

t~, we knew you'd like that funky tree. It was at Slide Rock, when we went walking Down by the Creekbank :), so you'll be there! Yay! And I knew that memory disk was wrong--oops.
Love, neenee
And I'll try not to use such strong language again, although something tells me that I'll be going back to Snow-land this winter.

JCsings4Him said...

OMW, I am SO proud of you!!! This is a great blog and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures!!! Seriously, I miss you terribly. New Years is just so far away!!! We DO still have that saved, right?!?!?!?! Chief and I were just talking about yesterday...we are in dire need of a BFF and Poppy fix!!!! I am so incredibly jealous that XO is coming out is a month. :~( :~)

Love you much...BFF

MOST with an attitude said...

Yikes-a-Malooney is right!! I can't believe how "growed up" maestro is. I feel so old.
Love the pic's...beautiful!

Anonymous said...

mom, NICE A$$! i love these pics. they're sooooo beautiful. especially the A$$. That was one hot DAM too! :) hey, i'm pregnant, i can say whatever i want! :)

Anonymous said...

To think I missed that drive to Sedona what was I thinking?? I was probably in my sane time of the month which only lasts a couple of days. I probably would have cried all the way down the snowy mountain - I think Webster shed some tears a few weeks ago down that same mountain. The Sisters are so great to be around - not at all like the ones I had for 12 years. I "heart" them. See u soon. luv rb

Anonymous said...

Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

JCsings4Him said...

Seriously...Poppy....do you just look up cool quotes, or are you just majorly insightful!?!?

SisterJ said...

Hey, Yikes-a-Maloney, what beautiful pics and I took some of them. I am soooooo good. Hey everyone this is a fantastic B&B. *****
Visited XO and company yesterday and they are so excited about coming to the big AZ.
Sister P says she turns on her CD player in her car and no Josh comes out unless she puts a CD in. In Arizona, the after the motor starts, Josh just starts singing!