Saturday, July 7, 2007

We're Havin' a Heat Wave


Okay, I know that the rest of the country is now sharing the heat --- and they've added that great humidity -- but I thought I'd share some AZ jokes that I looked up when things were warmer here than a mere 115.


It's so hot in Arizona that...

· the birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.
· the potatoes cook underground, and all you have to do to have lunch is to pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.
· farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs.
· the cows are giving evaporated milk.
· the trees are whistling for the dogs.
· you can say 113 degrees without fainting.
· you eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.
· you can make instant sun tea.
· you learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
· the temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.
· you can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.
· you discover that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.
· you discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.
· you notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
· hot water now comes out of both taps.
· you actually burn your hand opening the car door.
· no one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.
· your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
· you realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
· a sad Arizonan once prayed, "I wish it would rain - not so much for me, ‘cause I've seen it -- but for my 7-year-old."


On to more important topics, today was the day the kids left. We didn't enjoy that one bit. On the way to the airport, we were talking about the trip and who would be on the plane -- Daddy, Mommy, Dimples, BDE, and Baby. He said, "Poppy on airplane!" Yeah, that was rough. He insisted for the last 45 minutes or so of the ride that Poppy would be joining them. BDE and I didn't enjoy our farewell either, even though we both know that we'll see each other in a few short weeks. Dimples tried to ignore the whole goodbye thing. We had SUCH a GREAT time!!! The kids did really well. BDE learned the back float and backstroke, Dimples swam for the first time without a life jacket or floatie of any kind, and Baby loved dunking himself underwater and "swimming" with Mommy or Daddy holding him. We also had a great time on the boat, and it was fun to see the kids relax a bit more as they became more seasoned boaters. To sum it up, it was really great for us all to be together. I hope we can have more visits like this in the future, and Poppy & I really appreciate that they all took the trouble (and expense) to come down & visit with Neenee & Poppy. I'm sure EO will do some great blogging on the trip, so I'll let her provide the photos.


And I'll add my thanks to EO & fam's for the wonderful reception provided by Herc's parents and La (a note to follow So) upon their arrival home. Wowie wow wow, as Junie B would say.


Oh, and I know that they WILL be coming back because a few things did get forgotten here (note to self --- for future reference, clean up a bit before they pack) -- BDE's pink Hanes, Dimples' Fire Engine book, & the Santas we made.


5 comments:

JCsings4Him said...

I'M THE FIRST TO COMMENT...I'M THE FIRST TO COMMENT!!!!! WOOHOO!!

It sounds like you all had a WONDERFUL time...I am SO happy you did!!! Well...OF COURSE you did!!!! Can't wait to see you in August AND in December...we're still on, right?!!?!?!?! Get that boat ready, Poppy!! And BFF...coffee...mmmm...chocolate coffee...mmmmmmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

We are truly blessed...

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism. It does what it wants, when it wants. In fact, it is kind of retired. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey...when are you coming to the frozen (now completely thawed) tundra????? We need some serious coffee time!

Kevin and Joelene would like to get together...thought we could arrange a bar-be-cue one evening. Let me know what you both think!

Anonymous said...

yeah, i'm sad it's over and very jealous that you'll be there. but i'm happy for you. you're so lucky that you can go... but you deserve it! XOXO

Anonymous said...

OK honestly, this means that I haven't checked this blog since we left AZ. *stupid!* *stupid!*

LOL at your story, but BOOOOO on the I-was-at-chico's-and-you-weren't part.