Monday, November 5, 2007

Another Quilt Blog


Well, we've been pretty busy around here! Our bi-annual quilt show was last weekend, so the quilts finally got done! Just in time, too! Reminiscent of my 4-H days, when we would be sewing hems and clipping threads on our sewing exhibits as Mom or Dad would drive us to the fair, I was cutting threads as I got a phone call -- "Are you still bringing your quilts in? They are due today." "Today? I thought it was tomorrow!" Oopsie poopsie! When I got there and saw the other beautiful quilts, I almost turned around and left! What an incredible display! Not that I was unhappy with my turtles, but my word! So many of the quilters use a professional machine quilter now and the results are really stunning (haven't used that word much since my days working at a hoity-toity women's clothing store). I'm really a beginner compared to these ladies (and gentlemen). Anyway, here are a few photos. They do NO justice at all to the display. I was really in awe! I will post some more pix later. You can tell me which one you like the best (besides my turtles, of course!!).

Here are my Baby Honu quilts on display --



This is a quilt that I have the book for. Cissy gave it to me and now I really need to get going on it!

This is made all by hand. They made little "yo-yo's" out of fabric and sewed them together.



This one is all fabric. It was not made by my quilt guild, it's part of a traveling exhibit by a fabric company.


This is a miniature. I'm working on one like this now. It's a block-of-the-month being done by my guild. The blocks are all symbolic of the underground railroad.



This next one is all hand-quilted. On the right is a close-up of her work.



























These are from a pattern called French Braid. They learned it at a quilters' retreat last year. The one on top was made by a friend of mine from the guild.


The one below is made from 30's reproduction fabrics and has an appliquéd border.





I like basket blocks.



Isn't this one gorgeous?






I liked this one too --





Let me know which one(s) you like.


Isn't this frivolous, considering the fact that Happy just gave birth Friday (yay!!!!!) and my 2 daughters are due anytime now? (Yes, ~T~, I can hear your favorite English teacher say "frivolous nonsense.")

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahah! i'm number one... mom, the ones that i love the most--SERIOUSLY, are the turtles. they are so happy and creative and made out of love. the others are nice too and hand "appliKAYED" (oops don't know how to spell) and from 1920, blah blah blah, but yours are the best BY FAR. it was fun going to it though... i didn't realize how much work is put into a quilt--WOW! it truly takes great talent to be a quiltmaker and you're among the best. love you! XOXOX

Anonymous said...

p.s. the pictures DON'T give these quilts justice. my faves are the french braid and the yo yo's... they're really cool. :)

Anonymous said...

of course I like the turtle quilts and the one that you thought was gorgeous - the exploding flower in the center. Also I like the tan one. I think I like them all. If I didn't know how difficult they are to make, I would start making them but...

BTW it sure is nice to get back to warm weather. Although I didn't get real cold up in the North Country, but then again it was a very short visit. When the weather girl said we were going to have snow flurries Tuesday nite, I was glad to get out of my chair, get on to the floor and I said to myself I will open the door and and fly back home!! (inside joke)

love rb

jw26pt2 said...

LOL rosebud!!!!
And I don't appreciate your language (you said the 4 letter "S" word).
Love, me

Anonymous said...

Cissy says: I may be biased but my favorite one, hands down, is NOT pictured!!! Can you post the one that you did for MY grandson, Mumble? That one is my absolute favorite. And my second favorite, again, I am biased, is the wolf one you made for Guatamama. I will have her send you a pix so you can post that one, too. Seriously, you are are wonderfully talented and your "Quilts Of Love" win awards from me.

Love,

Cissy

Cisssy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Quilts! The turtle quilts are so cute!